Monday, June 28, 2010

Spilling the Beans

Friday Luke and I found out that he would have to travel for work on his birthday, which also happens to be the day we were scheduled for our first ultrasound. We knew we had to at least ask if he had to be gone on the 30th , but we also knew we'd have to share our big news to his brother Michael, who draws up the work/travel schedule. So, after so tip toeing around and working on getting everything together for closing on the house, we went in to talk to Michael. he didn't get it at first and asked if I was having a pap. I told him I was going to the OB. Luke just blurts out, "She's pregnant!" Michael of course, is congratualatory. But still doesn't get why Luke wouldn't want to travel on the 30th. So I explain, while Shandelle, his Wife, was more independent during their pregnancies and Michael dialed into the appointments...that was more because she HAD to be. This was a super last minute travel plan which hadn't even been booked yet. It seemed pretty obvious that it was getting booked whether we liked it or not. So, before I even had a chance to reschedule our appointment, Luke was booked on a flight tour of West Texas for his birthday/our first appointment. Michael, while we love him, wasn't exactly my first choice of who to tell. I know he's happy for us, but it won't mean much to him until there's an actual little kid to hold. Which, I totally understand. But I also knew I needed some support from someone who knows how I'm feeling and can tell me what to expect. So, on Saturday, I asked my sister Liz to come work with me and after a few ours at the building I told her our news. She was very excited! The first thing she said after congratulations was "I'll babysit!" She told me she kept picturing me with a big belly after I told her. And she is so certain that "Luke is going to be such a good daddy". The next two days we exchange some information on food cravings and what to cut out of my diet. We talk about the benefits of baby lsings and birthing centers. Exercise is a big focus for me, as is the natural approach I want to take with this whole thing. I learned about a blog from a Hawaiian woman called "Mango Mama" which brings new meaning to the words "baby mama drama".

Anyway, at least with my sister I can talk about all of this stuff. It would be weird, and probably un-insightful with my brother-in-law....

In any case, we now have to figure out when to tell our parents and the rest of the family. I was hoping to keep my June 30th appointment so we could tell them afterwards ( in just two days!) But since Luke will be traveling we decided to go when he'll be in town. So now, my appointment has been rescheduled for July 8th and I'm just not sure I can wait! I'll jusy have to do my best and try to pass off my unusual rejection of libations at dinner tonight. We're having a surprise bday dinner for my mother-in-law, which I'm sure will include plenty of drinks. Maybe if I just deem myself the designated driver, that will work...though I don't think I've ever volunteered for that position before...

I guess we'll see just how much longer we can keep this on the DL...

No comments:

Post a Comment