Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Moo Shu and Baby Booties

So after my morning conference call for work, I call Dr. Theis' office to schedule my first pre-natal appointment. I give the triage nurse my info and she suggests I'm four weeks along. I explain to her I had some blood work done and now that I look at the date of my appointment (June 11th) it should have come back as a positive pregnancy result. In any case, I get a call back saying Dr. Theis would like to see me in two weeks. Well, with the fireworks season upon us and Luke and I working like crazy-his family does own the largest fireworks company in SA, afterall, I wasn't sure I could make the appointment. It turns out my only free day is Luke's birthday. So, June 30th @ 4:15 we're going to our first appointment, hopefully to confirm the pregnancy and get some more info and a schedule going. I continue my day at the office, with some really productive afternoon meetings. Right at 5:30, feeling suddenly tired, I head out the door. I realize on my way home that our landlord is showing the house to a potential renter from Austin and we didn't make the bed, or load the dishes, and I'm pretty sure our bathroom towels are hanging on the doors and our dining room table is covered in paperwork. I rush home, anticipating some quick house keeping only to discover the appointment was canceled. The sudden sense of urgency certainly helped boost my energy so I go to Crossfit to work out. Now, I struggled with the idea of going all day, knowing that it's a high intensity workout and contrary to the recommendations for exercise for pregnant women. Ultimately, I did the whole workout and felt great! Afterwards, I told Rick, the owner/trainer/certified Army Nurse, my condition and he and I agreed to give my OB as much info as possible whilst continuing my workouts, with modification, if necessary. It turns out there's another woman in Crossfit who's pregnant, and even goes to the same office I do, small world, huh?!
Luke has been working long, hard hours gearing up for firework, we start selling in 2 days...he gets home around 7:30 and even though he's tired and has been pulled away from managing opeations to help pack orders and move boxes for 12 hours a day, he suggests we celebrate.
So, I'm thinking that's great especially since the next few weeks will be so busy we proabably won't share a meal, other than his mom's birthday on the 28th. Anyway, we take turns showering and I can't help but think that we'll have two showers when we move! When Luke emerges, he suggests we have dinner at Hsui Yu. My first reaction was: they don't have many vegetables and I immediately feel like an ass. Only more so when he says, "I figured we could just go since that's where, you know." And I did know, that's where we had our first date. He is so sweet and I told him so after apologizing for not recognizing his attempts to be nostaligic and romantic, especially since it really was. We head out for a late dinner, 8:30 is pretty late for us...Hsui, the owner/chef's wife/namesake of the restraunt greets us with her sense of familiarity. It's ironic, though, this may be one of the few times she hasn't asked us if we're going to have kids soon...Luke points out that we end up sitting just next to the table where we had our first date. He really is sweet, I didn't even think of that. Luke sent me a text message earlier in the day asking "boy?girl?" he wanted to know what I wanted and I admitted I waned a girl-my logic was that little girls tend to mature more quickly, which would allow us to have another baby without having to wait too long. I was maybe a little surprised to hear he wants a boy. Of course, we both just want a healthy baby. At dinner he asked me what the choices were for a name. I told him I didnt know and he seemed a little shocked. I know we've talked about named before. In fact, I recall a late summer night walk last year where we went through the entire alphabet and came up with both a boy and a girl name for every letter. I've often gravitated to these names: Jack, Jackson, Jacob, Owen, and of course Luke for boys and Olivia/Olive, Sophia, Charlotte, Grace, for girls. But, nothign's set in stone. So, Luke pulled out his iphone and started looking up baby names. Throughout dinner we mulled over a few and made fun of some others (who wants to name their kid after the King of the Elves in Lord of the Rings? apparently, somebody?) In any case, it may still be too early to be thinking about all that. Though Elrond Theoden Girdley certainly has a ring to it...

No comments:

Post a Comment