Thursday, July 15, 2010

scents and sensibility

I can't hear or say any words that have to do with expelling anything from the body. Perfumes. kill me. colognes, added scents have been removed from my space-poor Luke has been sequestered from me even after he showers, since the smell of his wet hair-more specifically his shampoo makes me ill. Anyone who smokes or has been around a smoker is nixed from my social circle right now...not that I was ever around many smokers in the first place. Anything too sweet or fruity. The one thing that didn't turn my stomach was, of all things: chicken wings! Luke came home one day with wings from wing stop and it was the first smell that made me hungry in days! I stole 4 of his wings and suddenly felt like I could eat! I took advantage of it and had some fruit and yogurt-only to feel stuffed quickly thereafter. Gas and constipation can do another number on you appetite! As someone who's never had heart burn, stomach or digestive problems, or a problem with food-this is all new and unnerving. I anticipated eating a healthy diet but all the fruit and veggies I bought make me ill-but bring me some chicken wings and apparently I can eat! I never even tried wings before a couple years ago!

To top off the headaches, backaches, continuous nausea and I now have a cold! I was hoping to have a super healthy and exercised pregnancy, but I haven't been able to stand up for more than 10 minutes since fireworks ended without feeling completely wiped out, let alone work out! Work has been kind of a bust this week, I managing to do some work every other hour, in between trips to the bathroom and heavy naps. Ritz crackers and ginger ale have been the mainstay of my diet lately. I've only been able to stomach fruit in a smoothie, which takes me about an hour to drink. I've tried to eat apples only to feel awful for hours. I'm even afraid to eat the figs I ought-just the thought of them makes my stomach lurch...

What have I been able to keep down? Mostly dinner-if it's after 8pm. Lately it's been everything from baked chicken roasted potatoes and green beans or salmon, sweet potatoes, and broccoli to cheese burger and french fries or lettuce wraps and spring rolls. I know it could be worse, but i guess I had high hopes for these early weeks.

The worst part: Luke has finally had some time off and I'm too sick or tired to spend much time with him out of bed.

Here's hoping things improve soon...as for now, maybe this cold will weaken my sense of smell and bring back my sensible appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment